The QLD AIDS Council’s (QuAC) Training and Development Program ‘Rainbow Pride @ Work’ has been providing practical support to health and community services to build an open and inclusive rapport with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) clients in QLD since 2005.
QuAC can support organisations to achieve LGBTI inclusivity by offering consultancy, guest presentations and training.
QuAC has also been offering a consultancy service since 2012 to support organisations to become LGBTI inclusive not only for their clients but also their employees. This consultancy service, in partnership with Val’s Café Victoria and GLHV, offers intensive support for organisations working towards the Rainbow Tick LGBTI accreditation.
LGBTI cultural awareness training has been delivered to over 2500 service providers across many sectors over the years, and QuAC continues to develop resources to support organisations to provide LGBTI inclusive services. Guest presentation of between 1-2 hours cover a range of topics related to LGBTI people and their health.
Are you an LGBTI inclusive organisation? Not sure? Do read on.
- An LGBTI inclusive organisation invites community consultation and participation to inform the organisations policies, procedures and practices and engages in social responsibility with the LGBTI community.
- Communicates its inclusivity through environment, resources, processes and marketing to both employees and clients
- Provides workforce development to raise awareness of LGBTI identities and issues for staff and clients and to create an LGBTI safe and inclusive workplace
- Operates LGBTI inclusive practice at every level of interaction with LGBTI people
- Embeds LGBTI inclusivity across all areas of policy and procedures.
The intensive LGBTI inclusivity support offered through the How2/Val’s café project provides 4 comprehensive, half day sessions and ongoing consultancy carried out over a year, coaching a minimum of two key personnel from each service as change facilitators within their organisation.
Participants gain insight-through engagement with a range of useful skills, strategies and resources- into how to create an inclusive organisation for LGBTI people including clients and staff. How2/Val’s café assists organisations to gather evidence towards applications for the ‘Rainbow Tick”, gold standard evidence of genuine LGBTI inclusion. Content includes the six standards of the Rainbow Tick:
- Organisational capability
- Cultural Safety
- Professional Development
- Consumer Consultation
- Disclosure and Documentation
- Access and Intake Procedures
Basic LGBTI Cultural Awareness Training
This half day training session will provide participants with information on:
- Sexuality, gender identity, intersex status, and the impact of discrimination on LGBTI people
- Social pressures that affect LGBTI people and the impact they have on their health.
These sessions are available for a variety of sectors including:
- Domestic Violence
- Mental health
- Culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Alcohol and other drugs (AOD)
Creating Inclusive Services Training
This half day session builds on the LGBTI Cultural Awareness training and will support the development of inclusive services and best practice strategies for LGBTI people accessing organisations in QLD. The session provides:
- Practical mechanisms for organisations to increase access and build rapport with LGBTI people
To complement the basic LGBTI cultural awareness session (recommended to be completed first) there are also half day sessions specific to people working with Trans and Gender Diverse people and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
These presentations go for one to two hours with a range of topics that each go for 30mins.
LGBTI consultancy includes support for an organisation in a range of areas, from policies and procedures, to practice, marketing, forms and intake procedures, workforce development, staff surveys and reference groups, community engagement and consultations and the organisational culture and environment. Consultancy is offered at an hourly rate with discounts for block bookings.
Consultancy: $150/hr (discounts apply for block bookings)
How2/Val’s Café: $3000 per agency (2 participants)
Guest presentations: $200/hr (1-2 hrs sessions)